Freedesktop.org vs. LibreOffice.org

Rejy M Cyriac rcyriac at redhat.com
Mon Sep 9 05:48:29 UTC 2013

On 09/09/2013 12:26 AM, Jonathan Ryshpan wrote:
> What is the connection, if any, between Freedesktop.org and
> LibreOffice.org?  I have found a small bug in Libre Office Calc and have
> reported it to the Freedesktop bugzilla, where it is languishing.
> Should it have been submitted to LibreOffice instead?  Would it be
> extremely rude to submit it to both places?
>
> Thanks - jon

You need to submit Bugs related to LibreOffice to the associated
website, and not to freedesktop.org. Please refer to the following
links, for more information, and to submit your Bug.

https://wiki.documentfoundation.org/BugReport

https://www.libreoffice.org/get-help/bug/

freedesktop.org and LibreOffice.org are both in the Open Source Domain.
But they are not directly related. freedesktop.org relates to different
desktop environments like GNOME and KDE. LibreOffice relates to
community driven and developed office suite software, and was forked out
of OpenOffice.org.

To quote their respective websites,

"freedesktop.org is open source / open discussion software projects
working on interoperability and shared technology for X Window System
desktops" "freedesktop.org was formed in March 2000 to encourage
cooperation among open source desktops for the X Window System"

"LibreOffice is community-driven and developed software which is a
project of the not-for-profit organization, The Document Foundation."

--
Regards,

Rejy M Cyriac (rmc)