Native Nvidia Optimus and Fedora 19

Heinz Diehl htd at fritha.org
Mon Sep 9 06:12:47 UTC 2013

On 09.09.2013, Powell, Michael wrote:

> If you're one of the lucky few that bought an Optimus laptop after they started adding a BIOS option to select the nVidia hardware, you're quite fortunate, but I wasn't so lucky. I will try native nVidia support in the future, but most likely not until Fedora 20.

I have been using an optimus laptop quite some time (Asus U45JC), with
a BIOS which doesn't have any switch related to optimus or the nvidia
graphics. I recompiled my kernel without nouveau and run the
integrated Intel graphics. After heavy trouble with gpu hangs, ILK
seems to be fixed in the Intel drivers at last. I'm using SNA without
any problems in the last few weeks.

[htd at kiera ~]$ lspci | grep VGA
00:02.0 VGA compatible controller: Intel Corporation Core Processor Integrated Graphics Controller (rev 18)
01:00.0 VGA compatible controller: NVIDIA Corporation GT218M [GeForce 310M] (rev a2)