problem: system freezes.

William Mattison wcmattison at yahoo.com
Mon Sep 9 20:15:16 UTC 2013

Good afternoon,

This is Fedora-19 on a 64 bit quad-core i7; with an Nvidia GEFORCE GTX 660.  I most recently updated Fedora last Wednesday, Sept. 04.

At least once each day, the system just locks up with no advanced warning or symptoms.  It just stops responding to the trackball and keystrokes.  The display simply stops changing.  The only things I can do is a hard reset or cut off the power.  I am not aware of any pattern to what I'm doing when such a freeze-up happens.  Once it happened after logging in and simply launching a terminal window; another time I was doing a "more" on a test file; another time I was reading e-mail through Firefox; another time I was listening to a CD; another time I was preparing to burn an audio CD.  No error messages show up on the screen.

This problem has been occurring for a few weeks now, and was occurring when I had Fedora-18 also.  I just now think I have the time to try to handle it.  (I'm guessing this will take some doing!)

I'm just a home user.  I have no sys. admin. training or experience.  How do I diagnose and fix this?

Thank-you in advance for your help.
Bill.