What happened to my printer!?!

Alan Evans ame.fedora at gmail.com
Mon Sep 9 21:13:12 UTC 2013

Hello all,

Sometime in the last couple of weeks, I lost my ability to print to the
office printer. If I check (KDE) System Settings, the printer's status
reads, "Paused - 'Unable to connect to CIFS host after (tried 3 times)'".
Everybody else can still use this printer, and there have been no major
network reconfiguration events recently. I can't figure out how to bring
this back online.

I tried to simply re-add the long-existing printer again, but the "Add a
New Printer" dialog won't let me browse the network for any printers at
all. The [Browse] button under "Windows Printer via SAMBA" is greyed out,
so I would have to type the URI by hand. But the URI is correct in the
configuration of the current, non-working, printer, as far as I know.

Is there any way to figure out why the current printer is offline, beyond
"Unable to connect"? Not being able to print is really messing with my
workflow.

-Alan