tls

Patrick Dupre pdupre at gmx.com
Mon Sep 9 22:01:10 UTC 2013

Thank Matthew.

I probably need to learn more how to use sftp for having best secure transfers
using my own key.

> Patrick,
>
> Both FTPS and SFTP utilize essentially the same techniques to secure a
> connection and provide similar levels of security. FTPS has a slight edge
> when it comes to authentication, because it uses X.509 certificates while SFTP
> uses SSH keys. However, this is only relevant if personally verifying the
> authenticity of keys (e.g. issuing a key yourself or verbally confirming its
> fingerprint by phone) isn't sufficient and you require a CA to verify the
> authenticity of certificates instead.
>
> On the other hand, SFTP is easier to administer from a network perspective
> since only port 22/tcp must be opened in the firewall. This is the same port
> used by SSH, so in many cases (including yours) it's already open.
>
> In my opinion, FTPS is slightly less secure than SFTP because its risks (running
> an additional daemon and opening multiple firewall ports) outweigh its benefit
> (X.509 authentication). Considering that SFTP is probably already available on
> your computer (it's enabled by default), it's the obvious choice unless you
> absolutely require X.509 authentication for file transfers.
>
> Regards,
>
> Matthew Roth
> InterMedia Marketing Solutions
> Software Engineer and Systems Developer
> --

 Patrick DUPRÉ                                 | | email: pdupre at gmx.com
 Laboratoire de Physico-Chimie de l'Atmosphère | |
 Université du Littoral-Côte d'Opale           | |
 Tel.  (33)-(0)3 28 23 76 12                   | | Fax: 03 28 65 82 44
 189A, avenue Maurice Schumann                 | | 59140 Dunkerque, France