What happened to my printer!?!

Rick Stevens ricks at alldigital.com
Mon Sep 9 22:34:31 UTC 2013

On 09/09/2013 02:49 PM, Alan Evans issued this missive:
> On Mon, Sep 9, 2013 at 2:34 PM, Rick Stevens wrote:
>
>     Well, since it seems to be a Windows printer (e.g. a print spooler
>     running on a Windows box), did they change the authentication at that
>     end? Did you change the firewall settings on your box so that Samba
>     stuff is blocked now?
>

> The authentication has not changed on the Windows box. (The guy in
> charge of that would never do that, since it would force him to go
> around reconfiguring everybody's machine for the new authentication. He
> would never want to do that much work.) In any case, I asked, and there
> has been no change to the print-spooler's configuration.

Did you do an update to your machine just before this started happening?
You also didn't say if you're running F17, F18 or F19 (or something
older). If you're running F20, then this isn't the list for that as F20
isn't released yet.

> As for the firewall, it is disabled on this machine. For fun, I just
> issued a "setenforce 0" and tried resuming the printer. No change in
> status. So it is something of a mystery to me why I can't even browse
> for network printers.

I'm just shotgunning this, so bear with me. The firewall and SELinux
are completely separate things. "setenforce 0" does NOT disable
SELinux--it just puts it in permissive mode and SELinux still gets in
the way on certain things even in permissive mode (ask me how I know).
You might find some clues in SELinux's logs and such.

There are Samba-based selinux policies and booleans. To see if this is
the problem, disable SELinux completely by editing /etc/selinux/config
and changing the line:

	SELINUX=enforcing

	SELINUX=disabled

and rebooting. See if you can browse your network printers then. If so,
then obviously SELinux is in the way. Change the config line back and
reboot to re-enable SELinux, then have a looksee at the man pages for
samba_net_selinux, samba_unconfined_net_selinux and
samba_unconfined_script_selinux and play with that stuff.

If you still can't browse with SELinux disabled, please ensure that the
firewall is disabled. As root, try "iptables -L -n" and see if anything
pops up. You must permit incoming UDP connections on ports 137 and 138
to browse Samba/SMB/Windows stuff.

Like I said, this is shotgun stuff and it may not solve your problem,
but it's a start.
- Real Time, adj.: Here and now, as opposed to fake time, which only -
-                        occurs there and then                       -