blackened screen 2

g geleem at bellsouth.net
Tue Sep 10 00:57:53 UTC 2013

On 09/09/2013 02:42 PM, g wrote:

> On 09/09/2013 01:31 PM, Richard Vickery wrote:
> <>
>
>  > Any Ideas on how else I might try to fix it?
>
> tho it maybe a bad screen as suggested, i would try booting a live cd/dvd,
> or, install cd/dvd from an earlier release than fedora 20, just to  insure
> that it is not a driver problem.

in addition, you make no mention of age of laptop, actions in previous
versions, new install on new/old system, etc,etc...

so, what you set during boot is because bios is "basic input output system"
and is just that, _basic_. it is what oem works up for 'plain jane' video,
ie, vga type output with _possible_ some configuration for screen resolution.

there is really no control over the the gpu, graphics processing unit until
a graphic driver is brought into use. then the fun and joy begins.

f20 may not have _old_ enough ability for gpu in your system for various
reasons. or what authors felt would make your gpu work in f20.

therefore, because you see bios, i would presume that your gpu is working,
as a basic gpu, but may not work in full gpu mode because it is bad in an
advanced mode, video drives do not 'fit' your gpu in an advanced mode,
f20 does not have drivers to properly work with your gpu.

another question about your system, do you know what the gpu chip is?

it is possible that f20 is defaulting to a 'generic' that can not handle
your chipset, ie, nvidia, amd/ati, intel.

therefore, to insure that gpu is fully operational, boot a previous live
cd/dvd to see what you can. or even if you can boot an f20 live cd/dvd.

i am shortly headed out for a movie and a bar or 2. will not be back for a
while. but i am sure other repliers can pick up with what ever additional
info you provide.

later.

--

peace out.