blackened screen 2

Richard Vickery richard.vickeryrv at gmail.com
Tue Sep 10 03:56:19 UTC 2013

On Sep 9, 2013 5:58 PM, "g" <geleem at bellsouth.net> wrote:

> On 09/09/2013 02:42 PM, g wrote:
>>

>> On 09/09/2013 01:31 PM, Richard Vickery wrote:
>> <>
>>
>>  > Any Ideas on how else I might try to fix it?
>>
>> tho it maybe a bad screen as suggested, i would try booting a live
cd/dvd,
>> or, install cd/dvd from an earlier release than fedora 20, just to
 insure
>> that it is not a driver problem.
>

> in addition, you make no mention of age of laptop, actions in previous
> versions, new install on new/old system, etc,etc...
>
> so, what you set during boot is because bios is "basic input output
system"
> and is just that, _basic_. it is what oem works up for 'plain jane' video,
> ie, vga type output with _possible_ some configuration for screen
resolution.

> there is really no control over the the gpu, graphics processing unit
until
> a graphic driver is brought into use. then the fun and joy begins.
>
> f20 may not have _old_ enough ability for gpu in your system for various
> reasons. or what authors felt would make your gpu work in f20.
>
> therefore, because you see bios, i would presume that your gpu is working,
> as a basic gpu, but may not work in full gpu mode because it is bad in an
> advanced mode, video drives do not 'fit' your gpu in an advanced mode,
> f20 does not have drivers to properly work with your gpu.
>
> another question about your system, do you know what the gpu chip is?
>
> it is possible that f20 is defaulting to a 'generic' that can not handle
> your chipset, ie, nvidia, amd/ati, intel.
>
> therefore, to insure that gpu is fully operational, boot a previous live
> cd/dvd to see what you can. or even if you can boot an f20 live cd/dvd.
>

> i am shortly headed out for a movie and a bar or 2. will not be back for a
> while. but i am sure other repliers can pick up with what ever additional
> info you provide.
>
> later.
>

> --
>
> peace out.
>
> in a world with out fences, who needs gates.
>
> sl6.3 linux
>
> tc.hago.

> .

Update: I don't see any see anything on-screen anymore; trying to get
something readable on X on the external monitor has created a situation now
where there is no X11 on screen - all I can get on the external monitor now
is a text environment.

Though I have saved most of the data on external drives, I fear the loss of
something crucial, thus don't want to reinstall on the hard drive if I can
avoid it. If need be, I lack wisdom is burning an image from text.

Does anyone know of a notebook computer screen-replacement reseller in
Vancouver, Canada?

Thanks for the attention,
Richard