problem: system freezes.

William Mattison wcmattison at yahoo.com
Tue Sep 10 18:20:49 UTC 2013

Good afternoon,

Rick Stevens wrote...
> Need a lot more info:
>
> Make and model of computer
> Video card type (nVidia, Intel, ATI, etc.)
> Memory size
> Disk size and type
>
> You can (as root) run "dmidecode" and "lspci" from the command line
> and include that with your response. We can then try to help you.

I get the following from "lspci":
---------------
bash.2[~]: lspci
00:00.0 Host bridge: Intel Corporation Xeon E3-1200 v2/3rd Gen Core processor DRAM Controller (rev 09)
00:01.0 PCI bridge: Intel Corporation Xeon E3-1200 v2/3rd Gen Core processor PCI Express Root Port (rev 09)
00:14.0 USB controller: Intel Corporation 7 Series/C210 Series Chipset Family USB xHCI Host Controller (rev 04)
00:16.0 Communication controller: Intel Corporation 7 Series/C210 Series Chipset Family MEI Controller #1 (rev 04)
00:19.0 Ethernet controller: Intel Corporation 82579V Gigabit Network Connection (rev 04)
00:1a.0 USB controller: Intel Corporation 7 Series/C210 Series Chipset Family USB Enhanced Host Controller #2 (rev 04)
00:1b.0 Audio device: Intel Corporation 7 Series/C210 Series Chipset Family High Definition Audio Controller (rev 04)
00:1c.0 PCI bridge: Intel Corporation 7 Series/C210 Series Chipset Family PCI Express Root Port 1 (rev c4)
00:1c.3 PCI bridge: Intel Corporation 7 Series/C210 Series Chipset Family PCI Express Root Port 4 (rev c4)
00:1c.4 PCI bridge: Intel Corporation 7 Series/C210 Series Chipset Family PCI Express Root Port 5 (rev c4)
00:1c.6 PCI bridge: Intel Corporation 7 Series/C210 Series Chipset Family PCI Express Root Port 7 (rev c4)
00:1c.7 PCI bridge: Intel Corporation 7 Series/C210 Series Chipset Family PCI Express Root Port 8 (rev c4)
00:1d.0 USB controller: Intel Corporation 7 Series/C210 Series Chipset Family USB Enhanced Host Controller #1 (rev 04)
00:1f.0 ISA bridge: Intel Corporation Z77 Express Chipset LPC Controller (rev 04)
00:1f.2 SATA controller: Intel Corporation 7 Series/C210 Series Chipset Family 6-port SATA Controller [AHCI mode] (rev 04)
00:1f.3 SMBus: Intel Corporation 7 Series/C210 Series Chipset Family SMBus Controller (rev 04)
01:00.0 VGA compatible controller: NVIDIA Corporation GK106 [GeForce GTX 660] (rev a1)
01:00.1 Audio device: NVIDIA Corporation GK106 HDMI Audio Controller (rev a1)
03:00.0 PCI bridge: ASMedia Technology Inc. ASM1083/1085 PCIe to PCI Bridge (rev 03)
04:04.0 Multimedia audio controller: C-Media Electronics Inc CMI8788 [Oxygen HD Audio]
05:00.0 USB controller: ASMedia Technology Inc. ASM1042 SuperSpeed USB Host Controller
06:00.0 SATA controller: ASMedia Technology Inc. ASM1062 Serial ATA Controller (rev 01)
07:00.0 SATA controller: ASMedia Technology Inc. ASM1062 Serial ATA Controller (rev 01)
bash.3[~]:
---------------
If you need a re-run with certain options, let me know.

"dmidecoe" gives me over 1100 lines of output.  Please tell me what options to use to get this down what you need, or some way of paring the output down to a reasonable size.

A few more facts that might provide clues:
* This is a dual boot system; the other OS being windows 7 home.  I experience no problems when using windows.  Does this rule out hardware problems?
* This system has an ASUS Sabertooth Z77 motherboard.
* This system has 16 gigabytes of memory.
* This a dual monitor system.  I have two Dell U-2711 monitors, each 2560x1440.  These are "wide gamut", not sRGB.
* This system has an ASUS Xonar Essence STX audio card.
* This is a "diy" system.

Yesterday evening, the display suddenly wend "psychedelic", showing seemingly random, changing, loudly-colored squares (?) all over both screens.  First time, after a few minutes, I had to shut off the power.  Second time, after several minutes of the "psychedelic" display, it froze, after which I had to shut off the power.  Curiously, the audio CD kept playing normally (with normal sound coming out of the speakers) until I turned off the power.

"linuxnutster" wrote...
> I'd start by going here:
>
> http://www.ultimatebootcd.com/
>
> Burn it to CD/DVD, set your bios to boot up on  CD/DVD. Go to the memory
> section and run the highest version of memtest86+ to check your memory.
> The last time I had freezes like that in Linux, I'd blow a couple of
> memory bars.

This is in progress.  I'll post something when I have something worth posting.  A caution about that website.  I loaded the website in Firefox, running in windows.  "NoScript" was active; windows security essentials and Malwarebytes were hooked in.  Yet something briefly flashed on my screen while viewing that site.  It wasn't up long enough for me to see specifically what it was, but it sure looked like an ad.  Subsequent scans showed no problems.  Be careful with that site!

Bill.