strange issue with notify-send

Ranjan Maitra maitra.mbox.ignored at inbox.com
Wed Sep 11 21:04:31 UTC 2013

On Wed, 11 Sep 2013 22:36:51 +0200 Suvayu Ali <fatkasuvayu
+linux at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Wed, Sep 11, 2013 at 05:13:39AM -0500, Ranjan Maitra wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > I have a strange issue with notify-send (using either window-manager:
> > openbox or pekwm). So, what happens is that the pop-up (on the
> > top right of the screen) appears to fall off the edge of the screen (on
> > the right) with occasionally the rightmost part showing on the top left
> > of the screen.
> >
> > As an example, consider the following:
> >
> > notify-send "Hello World! for he's a jolly good fellow who says hello
> > world to all the world"
> >
> > the following is what happens on my 1920x1080 resolution laptop -- there
> > is a popup and I see the following on the right side of my screen: I
> > see upto "Hello World! for he's a jolly good fellow" (with only half
> > the "w" displayed) and on the next line, I get "world to all the
> > world". Clearly, the line goes beyond the workspace and eventually
> > wraps around. On the other hand, I get notify-send "Hello" all right
> > without any issues (because I guess the number of characters is too
> > small to make a difference?).
>
> Bash does history expansion inside double quotes.  Did you try escaping
> the `!', something like "World\!".

Thanks, Suvayu. I don't think this has anything to do with my problem,
though: because this was just an example. Regardless, just to be sure,
I tried the above without the "!" and got exactly the same result.

I don't understand the problem at all, but it appears to be some issue
related to the extent of the workspace on the screen (for want of a
better word) as seen by the notify daemon/contraption (again, for want
of a better word)?

Ranjan