strange issue with notify-send

Ranjan Maitra maitra.mbox.ignored at inbox.com
Thu Sep 12 01:58:00 UTC 2013

On Thu, 12 Sep 2013 09:25:31 +0800 Ed Greshko <Ed.Greshko at greshko.com>
wrote:

> On 09/11/13 18:13, Ranjan Maitra wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > I have a strange issue with notify-send (using either window-manager:
> > openbox or pekwm). So, what happens is that the pop-up (on the
> > top right of the screen) appears to fall off the edge of the screen (on
> > the right) with occasionally the rightmost part showing on the top left
> > of the screen.
> >
> > As an example, consider the following:
> >
> > notify-send "Hello World! for he's a jolly good fellow who says hello
> > world to all the world"
> >
> > the following is what happens on my 1920x1080 resolution laptop -- there
> > is a popup and I see the following on the right side of my screen: I
> > see upto "Hello World! for he's a jolly good fellow" (with only half
> > the "w" displayed) and on the next line, I get "world to all the
> > world". Clearly, the line goes beyond the workspace and eventually
> > wraps around. On the other hand, I get notify-send "Hello" all right
> > without any issues (because I guess the number of characters is too
> > small to make a difference?).
> >
> > Anyone have any suggestions as to what is wrong? Or what I can look at
> > to fix?
> >
> > I am using libnotify 0.7.5-5.fc19 on a completely up-to-date F19.
> >
> > Many thanks and best wishes,
> > Ranjan
> >

> FWIW, in KDE the notification displays as a pop-up in the systray and there is obviously a line length limit and no automatic wrapping.  When the limit is reached the line ends in an ellipsis.
>
> One way to get around it in a script would be....
>
> #!/bin/bash
> notify-send "This is a message
> which will have multiple lines
> and on KDE will do a
> center justify"

I am sorry but mine is just an example. The reason this is an issue is
because notifications seem to go beyond the edge (and I do not have
control over the message being popped-up).

As I mentioned in my last post, this problem appears to have crept in
with the last few updates over the past 2-3 weeks (or so, not sure
when). Not sure what the problem is.

Thanks,
Ranjan

> --
> Getting tired of non-Fedora discussions and self-serving posts
> --

Important Notice: This mailbox is ignored: e-mails are set to be
For those needing to send personal or professional e-mail, please use
appropriate addresses.