strange issue with notify-send

Ranjan Maitra maitra.mbox.ignored at inbox.com
Thu Sep 12 13:54:27 UTC 2013

On Thu, 12 Sep 2013 09:50:14 +0200 poma <pomidorabelisima at gmail.com>
wrote:

> On 12.09.2013 03:01, Ranjan Maitra wrote:
>

> > Thanks, Dale. xrandr reports the following:
> >
> > randr: Failed to get size of gamma for output default
> > Screen 0: minimum 1920 x 1080, current 1920 x 1080, maximum 1920 x 1080
> > default connected 1920x1080+0+0 0mm x 0mm
> >    1920x1080       0.0*
> >
> > So, I suspect that it is correct? Not sure what the gamma stuff is: I
> > am running on a Dell XPS13.
> >
> > I must say that this issue of notifications using notify-send "going
> > overboard" started with recent upgrades. I don't recall this as a
> > problem in the month before the past 2-3 weeks that I have had this
> > machine (I have had it since mid-July).
> >
> > Can anyone else verify that if they have libnotify (the vanilla
> > one, not the one from xfce, etc, such as xfce4-notifyd) installed and
> > they run the notify-send command, they get the correct popup display.
> > (Try it a few times.).
> >

> What the heck, Openbox 3.5.2 & notify-send 0.7.5 workin OK. :)

Did you try this with xfce4-notifyd and its 3 dependencies uninstalled?
It works for me (different, smaller font) with xfce4-notifyd installed,
but not without it (in the sense that stuff "spills over").

To be clear, I install xfce4-notifyd and then it works. I uninstall and
it does not work *after* I restart X.

Also, I don't know if this matters, but I am not using a DE, only a WM
(openbox/pekwm).

> BTW GNOME's *libnotify* - a *library* for sending desktop notifications
> to a notification daemon and *Xfce4-notifyd* - a simple,
> visually-appealing notification *daemon* for Xfce are not the same
> category. :)

I see: so what makes it work then when xfce4-notifyd is not installed?

I have the following installed (as per yum list \*notify\*)

libnotify.x86_64                        0.7.5-5.fc19
notify-python.x86_64                    0.1.1-23.fc19

Thanks very much!
Ranjan