strange issue with notify-send

Ranjan Maitra maitra.mbox.ignored at inbox.com
Thu Sep 12 17:57:32 UTC 2013

On Thu, 12 Sep 2013 19:05:32 +0200 poma <pomidorabelisima at gmail.com>
wrote:

> On 12.09.2013 15:54, Ranjan Maitra wrote:
>
> > Did you try this with xfce4-notifyd and its 3 dependencies uninstalled?
> > It works for me (different, smaller font) with xfce4-notifyd installed,
> > but not without it (in the sense that stuff "spills over").
> >
> > To be clear, I install xfce4-notifyd and then it works. I uninstall and
> > it does not work *after* I restart X.
> >
> > Also, I don't know if this matters, but I am not using a DE, only a WM
> > (openbox/pekwm).
> >
> >> BTW GNOME's *libnotify* - a *library* for sending desktop notifications
> >> to a notification daemon and *Xfce4-notifyd* - a simple,
> >> visually-appealing notification *daemon* for Xfce are not the same
> >> category. :)
> >
> > I see: so what makes it work then when xfce4-notifyd is not installed?
> >
> > I have the following installed (as per yum list \*notify\*)
> >

> > libnotify.x86_64                        0.7.5-5.fc19
> > notify-python.x86_64                    0.1.1-23.fc19
> >
> > Thanks very much!
> > Ranjan
> >

> $ rpm -q --whatrequires xfce4-notifyd
> greybird-xfce4-notifyd-theme-1.2-1.fc19.noarch
> There aren't too much dependencies. :)
>
> You probably have a problem with the 'notification-daemon' and to adapt
> it to the WM you use, you can modify the source code.
> You know, it's open source. ;)

Absolutely, but the fact of the matter is that there used to be no
problem before: I tried this, and it does not work even with the LXDE
spin, updated, of fedora (and xfce4-notifyd uninstalled).

Btw, I have a question with regard to notification-daemon: where does
it pick its fonts, etc from? I would like to change this and see if
there is a difference. (At least for me, the xfce4-notifyd appears to
have a different font and size than with the one without it.)

> However.
> You don't need to bother with the Xfce4-notifyd if you use a lightweight
> WM like the Openbox, so
> # yum --enablerepo updates-testing install dunst
> $ mkdir ~/.config/dunst
> $ cp /usr/share/dunst/dunstrc ~/.config/dunst/
> Enjoy.

Never heard of this, but thanks!

Actually this works (one needs to get dunst instead of
notification-daemon started, thanks!!), though I do wonder about the
question on fonts above.

Many thanks,
Ranjan

> poma
>

> --

Important Notice: This mailbox is ignored: e-mails are set to be
For those needing to send personal or professional e-mail, please use
appropriate addresses.