video accel F19 on Acer Aspire One D255E netbook, lack thereof. [solved, sort of]

Fred Smith fredex at fcshome.stoneham.ma.us
Fri Sep 13 13:12:26 UTC 2013

On Thu, Sep 12, 2013 at 03:31:34PM -0400, Fred Smith wrote:
> Hi gang!
>
> I have two netbooks, an Asus 901 eeepc, and a newer Acer Aspire One
> D255E.
>
> on the  older Asus, GoogleEarth runs quite nicely (for such a minimally-
> powered system). it's clearly getting some graphical acceleration from
> the video chipset. (Thismachine is still running F17, soon to be upgraded,
> I hope.)

Well, I have a sort-of solution... I noted that the Asus is running
an older (by about a year) version of Google Earth, so I went looking
for that same version. I don't seem to have a copy of it locally, and
didn't quickly see a way to get into the Adobe archives, but they do
have a link to "previous" version, so I downloaded that, "yum remove"d
the new one, and installed that "previous" version. Voila, I now get
3D Accel! Perhaps the newer one is looking for a newer/higher version
of OpenGL, or something.

But as long as I can remember not to update the package, I'm all set now.