installiing joomla

Matthew J. Roth mroth at imminc.com
Sat Sep 14 18:51:25 UTC 2013

Please ignore my first reply.  I accidentally hit 'Send' before it was complete.

Reindl Harald wrote:

> www-data is *debian* because on Redhat the user/groups is named "apache"
> if you use google add your distribution to the search string!

Please explain how the specific user Apache is running as is relevant.  Is it
only an indicator of the distribution the example is based on?  If so, are you
saying that distributions without SELinux support cannot securely allow Apache
to write files within DocumentRoot?

> besides that there a *two* levels to care: FS-permissions *and* SELinux
>
> chown apache:apache /path/to/folder/
> chmod 770 /path/to/folder/
>
> http://david-latham.blogspot.co.at/2008/08/allow-httpd-apache-to-write-to-files.html

Are you saying to allow Apache write access, but to use SELinux to limit the
directories and files it can update?  That sounds reasonable to me, but I get
the impression that Tim had something else in mind from his very specific
statement:

  You should NOT change ownership of /var/www/http to Apache, never do
  that.  That's a VERY BAD THING!!!!!!

Regards,

Matthew Roth
InterMedia Marketing Solutions