installiing joomla

Matthew J. Roth mroth at imminc.com
Sat Sep 14 19:42:35 UTC 2013

Reindl Harald wrote:

> it's not a matter of the distribution set permissions wise and only
> allow the apache user write access where it is really needed
>
> teh document root is *not* such a place
> temp/cache folders of a web-application are

For clarification, can the temp/cache folders be subdirectories of the
DocumentRoot or should Apache never be able to write any file it could
potentially serve?

> in the best case *any* available permission system denies *anything* which is
> not needed for normal operations and if you need to allow whatever you need
> to do this for all possible involved subsystems - from security point of view
> it's easy. if one of the subsystems fails or is configuerd unsafe like
> "chmod -R 777" the other one makes this mindless acting less critical
>
> in doubt there is not "this or that is better", in doubt you want as much
> security layers as possible: iptables, mod_security, filesystem perms and
> as last resort SELInux - they are finally adaptive and depending on whatever
> a bad guy try to do on a server different layers may stop him, in the best
> case the first and finally the last ressort

In general, I understand layered security and the principle of least privilege.
It's just that Tim's statements:

  If it's possible for Apache to write to the webspace, because it's foolishly
  owned by the apache user, your system is just ripe for being exploited.

and:

  For those things that need write access to the files (such as web
  blogging where the author will add to the blog by writing through the
  webserver, or a plethora of other web services), then some other method must
  be used than chowning them to apache.

leave me wondering what that "other method" would be.

In other words, if a "plethora of other web services" require write access to
the webspace then there must either be commonly used methods to securely provide
that functionality or a plethora of systems that are "just ripe for being
exploited".  If it's the former, I want to know what those methods are.

I appreciate all of your input and I'm really interested to see what Tim has to
add.

Thank you,

Matthew Roth
InterMedia Marketing Solutions