mail from the command line ??

Mikkel L. Ellertson mellertson at gmail.com
Sat Sep 14 21:57:54 UTC 2013

On 09/14/2013 03:42 PM, bruce wrote:
> as a test, I have mailx (also have sendmail)
>
> based on a couple of websites/articles, I've created the following.
>
> /root/.mailrc
> set smtp-use-starttls
> set nss-config-dir=~/.mozilla/firefox/kbatbh5m.default/
> set ssl-verify=ignore
> set smtp=smtp://smtp.mail.yahoo.com:465
> set smtp-auth=login
> set smtp-auth-user=uscfish
> set smtp-auth-password=passwd1
> set from="uscfish at yahoo.com(tom)"
>
> [root at dell-1 cacti]# echo "test" | mailx -vvv -s "tst1"
"timmy at gmail.com"
> Resolving host smtp.mail.yahoo.com . . . done.
> Connecting to 63.250.193.228:465 . . . connected.
> Unexpected EOF on SMTP connection
> "/root/dead.letter" 11/301
> . . . message not sent.
> [root at dell-1 cacti]#
>

> I also tried to run the following full command with the same err..
>
> echo "test" | mailx -s "SUBJECT1" -S
> smtp=smtp://smtp.mail.yahoo.com:465 -S smtp-auth=login -S
> smtp-auth-user=uscfish -S smtp-auth-password=passwd -S from="tom
> <uscfish at yahoo.com>" timmy at gmail.com
>
> I can't figure out where to go to get additional insight for the
errs..

> thanks

The first thing I would recommend is not to run there tests as root.
It is up to you, but it is considered a bad practice to log in as
root unless you are doing things that require root access. Even
then, it is usually better to use sudo.

The error you are getting means that smtp.mail.yahoo.com hung up on
you. Maybe because you are using a user name of
"uscfish" instead of "uscfish at yahoo.com".

Try running:

echo "test" | mailx -v -s "tst1" "timmy at gmail.com"

instead of:

echo "test" | mailx -vvv -s "tst1" "timmy at gmail.com"

and see if that helps.

One other thing - unless your ISP uses Yahoo as its mail service, or
you have a premium Yahoo mail account, you are not going to be
able to use smpt.yahoo.com to relay your messages, or retrieve your
messages except by using the WEB interface.

Mikkel
- --
Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for thou art crunchy and
taste good with Ketchup!