odd issue booting F19 with LUKS partition

Richard Vickery richard.vickeryrv at gmail.com
Mon Sep 16 03:58:34 UTC 2013

On Jul 18, 2013 12:25 PM, "Patrick Lists" <fedora-list at puzzled.xs4all.nl>
wrote:

> Hi Fred,
>

> On 07/18/2013 08:50 PM, Fred Smith wrote:
>>
>> hi gang!
>>
>> I've put F19 on my Acer Aspire One (dual-core Atom) where it mostly runs
>> just fine.
>>
>> but I've noticed one oddity (by no means a show-stopper) during boot:
>> when it prompts for the LUKS password (for the encrypted /home partition)
>> the box for password entry flashes on the screen, then the screen goes
>> blank for 30 seconds (or so) then the box appears again.
>>
>> I noticed a day or two ago that if there's a bright lamp shining on the
>> screen when it is in that blank state that the box is in fact still drawn
>> there, but it appears that the screen backlight has been shut off--I can
>> still see the image of it faintly in the bright light.
>>
>> Everything else regarding screen behavior is fine, but this one is
>> pretty consistently occurring every system boot.
>>
>> This did not occur immediately after installation, but I first noticed
>> it only a week (or so) ago (sorry, I wasn't taking notes...) so one
>> wonders if some update has caused it.
>>
>> Any ideas on this one?
>

> Iirc there have been some reports by people that they had to downgrade
the xorg server package. Have you tried that?

> Other than that, the only semi-similar thing I have seen was during a
recent F19 installation where after some time the screen goes blank/black
(backlight goes off) and nothing would turn the screen back on. This was a
kickstart install with reboot at the end so I just left it running and
after a while it rebooted into a fresh F19 install.

> Regards,
> Patrick

Without X to make reading easier / faster, then using lynx how do I find
F19? Or, how do I downgrade X without the ability to see what I'm doing?
And in trying to fix it, I entered: video.use_bios_Initial_biacklight=0 and
it asked me for extra input.