Status of fstrim & MD-RAID

Heinz Diehl htd at fritha.org
Mon Sep 16 14:15:33 UTC 2013

On 16.09.2013, Reindl Harald wrote:

> >> Does fstrim work with md-raid devices these days with Fedora 19 out of
> >> the box?  I would like to use 2 SSDs (in RAID-1) & wondered about trim
> >> support.

> > Do you have any objections against the use of "discard"?
> > Just asking..

> which *is* trim

Yes. Because he also mentioned "fstrim" (see above), I mentioned
"discard", as an option when the fs is mounted (and not as a synonym
for trim).

> the question was if a linux-software-raid is passing
> it currently to the disc-layer or not

As far as I remember, discard has already been added late in 2011.
The source in raid1.c looks like it's fully supported, in case the
disk itself supports it.