GNOME Classic & Extensions

Reindl Harald h.reindl at thelounge.net
Mon Sep 16 17:37:18 UTC 2013

Am 16.09.2013 19:30, schrieb Dan Thurman:
> I do not like the Gnome-3 desktop metaphor. I still have F13, waiting
> for a Gnome-2 desktop for the latest Fedora release and so far, I am
> checking out F18 with MATE. It seems to work for the most part, but
> there are some issues/apps that I hope will be mitigated, given time.

fine - but that is no justification running a complete insecure OS
like F13 now - do this on machines not connected to the internet
but *not* in environments where your problems easily become
other people ones

> In my case, I started with F17 because it was the only version that could
> do a fresh install (with anaconda, not with F18) on an existing partition
> (having all partitions filled on four 2TB drives), then to upgrade to F18
> with fedup, and it was successful. I did not want to do another fedup to
> F19 because there was too many problems reported at the time.

please realize that you never hear people reporting all is fine
said from one running machines installed with F9 and now on F18

> I am still doing post installations and there are some interesting pitfalls
> missing apps or ugly replacements (Caja vs Nautilus) but it seems doable
> so far - it just takes time to get used to and to closely match what I had
> on F13

what about switch to a different desktop and throw away GNOME at all
that is what Linux is for: you have the choice and not only one DE

and if enough people are doing this dumb developers realize sooner or
later that their fantasy how a desktop should work is nice but only
for them - so they continue and do stuff for a few people or realize
that the way is wrong