udev/network question

Reindl Harald h.reindl at thelounge.net
Mon Sep 16 22:26:36 UTC 2013

Am 17.09.2013 00:21, schrieb Kevin Martin:
> On 09/16/13 17:03, Frantisek Hanzlik wrote:
>> Frantisek Hanzlik wrote:

>>> When You use 'net.ifnames=0', then systemd-udev ignore
>>> "/etc/udev/rules.d/NetworkNaming.rule". You get ethN interfaces,
>>
>> More accurately, systemd-udev not ignore "/etc/udev/rules.d/NetNam.rule",
>> but when there is collision with existing interface name (e.g. rule state
>> renaming interface to eth0, but eth0 already exist), then does not
>> try some smarter fiddling with, but leave interface with name from kernel.
>>
> Hmm, this works on my rawhide machine:
>
> /etc/udev/rules.d/70-my-net-names.rules
>
> SUBSYSTEM=="net", ACTION=="add", DRIVERS=="?*", ATTR{address}=="c8:0a:a9:b1:46:c2", ATTR{dev_id}=="0x0", ATTR{type}=="1", NAME="eth0"
>
> I assume it would work for multiple interfaces

you completly missed the point of "but when there is collision with existing interface name"
it works fine if you have not too much interfaces, well that is why i hate this general
changes too because these days most servers are virtualized and in that case the 8, 10
or 12 pyhsical network interfaces does not matter

but *if* you are in trouble at each reboot the names are changing you are lost

what i completly dislike is that "predictable" means nothing these days
first biosdevname came out, all changed, now udev/systemd took over and
the names chnaged again - that is not what "predictable" means, if they
would developed the change in a smart way biosdevname/systemd would have
ended in *exactly* the same names without the next change