ssh reverse port forwarding - ssh keys

bruce badouglas at gmail.com
Wed Sep 18 01:35:37 UTC 2013

Hey...

testing out ssh port forwarding/reverse tunneling using sshkeys

i've got the process of going from machineA to machineB using keys..

The test doing ssh user at foo.com -p 5011 works
 - auto login using the ssh keys..

However, the test of going from machineB to machineB is a bit chaotic.

I've created the private/pub rsa key.. on the machineB for the user
that will conduct the ssh connections, the id_rsa key was updated with
the private key.

The test then updated the machineA for the specified user with the
updated pub key in the authorized_keys file

The test also ensured the perms/owners on the machineA are correct.

the issue I'm having is that the test is still requiring a password to
complete the ssh session.

I'm not sure if I have to do something else to the machineB given that
the port forwarding/reverse tunnel essentially maps the port of the
localhost to the port of machineA

on machineB
 ssh tom at localhost -p 1999

which should use the private/pub keys to go through the tunnel to get
back to machineA

however, the process currently still asks for the password...

thoughts/suggestions...

thanks