Printer discovery broken after "server" upgraded to Fedora 19

Tim Waugh twaugh at redhat.com
Wed Sep 18 16:13:02 UTC 2013

On Wed, 2013-09-18 at 08:00 -0500, Richard Shaw wrote:
> After upgrading my wife's laptop (F18) can no longer discover the
> printer. I tried shutting down the firewall (firewalld) to make sure
> that wasn't the problem on both computers and restarting cups &
> avahi-daemon to no avail.

For clients using CUPS < 1.6, i.e. anything before Fedora 19, if you
weren't already using DNS-SD for discovery then you'll need to change
something.

In Fedora 19, CUPS only uses DNS-SD natively for discovery. The way it
works is that the *client application* now does discovery, so e.g. your
GTK+ application will discover shared CUPS queues via DNS-SD when you go
to print.

If you cannot using DNS-SD for some reason, you can still use the "CUPS
Browsing" protocol as used by CUPS < 1.6. It is available via the
"cups-browsed" service provided in the cups-filters package. On the
server, configure /etc/cups/cups-browsed.conf with e.g.
"BrowseLocalProtocols CUPS"; on the client, configure it with
"BrowseRemoteProtocols CUPS". Alternatively use "BrowsePoll my.server"
on the clients, to get them to periodically interrogate the server.

Tim.
*/