Printer discovery broken after "server" upgraded to Fedora 19

Richard Shaw hobbes1069 at gmail.com
Wed Sep 18 16:34:05 UTC 2013

On Wed, Sep 18, 2013 at 11:13 AM, Tim Waugh <twaugh at redhat.com> wrote:

> On Wed, 2013-09-18 at 08:00 -0500, Richard Shaw wrote:
> > After upgrading my wife's laptop (F18) can no longer discover the
> > printer. I tried shutting down the firewall (firewalld) to make sure
> > that wasn't the problem on both computers and restarting cups &
> > avahi-daemon to no avail.
>
> For clients using CUPS < 1.6, i.e. anything before Fedora 19, if you
> weren't already using DNS-SD for discovery then you'll need to change
> something.
>
> In Fedora 19, CUPS only uses DNS-SD natively for discovery. The way it
> works is that the *client application* now does discovery, so e.g. your
> GTK+ application will discover shared CUPS queues via DNS-SD when you go
> to print.

Ok, not complaining to anyone on this thread, but I would love to see the
rational for per application printer discovery! That makes absolutely no
sense to me.

If you cannot using DNS-SD for some reason, you can still use the "CUPS
> Browsing" protocol as used by CUPS < 1.6. It is available via the
> "cups-browsed" service provided in the cups-filters package. On the
> server, configure /etc/cups/cups-browsed.conf with e.g.
> "BrowseLocalProtocols CUPS"; on the client, configure it with
> "BrowseRemoteProtocols CUPS". Alternatively use "BrowsePoll my.server"
> on the clients, to get them to periodically interrogate the server.

Is there a way to get dns-sd to work on a system wide basis? Or is it per
application only?

If it's per-application I'm guessing I'll have to do the latter because
cups-browsed doesn't appear to be available on F18...

# repoquery --whatprovides /usr/lib/systemd/system/cups-browsed.service
(no results)

Thanks,
Richard