More UUID madness

Mark Haney MHaney at practichem.com
Thu Sep 19 16:46:52 UTC 2013

I hate top posting, but I have more information that Ihope might help.  I tried the steps in: https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/GRUB_2#Encountering_the_dreaded_GRUB_2_boot_prompt
and maybe got closer to a good boot, but I'm still seeing that at some step in the boot process, it wants to find the partitions using UUID in /dev/disk-by-uuid/ or something similar.

Why on earth was this even screwed with?  It's a joke in every way.  In all my research I'm seeing a half dozen ways to either edit files or re-install grub2.

I'm not sure trying to boot my system by labels would even work if the UUID is correct and it can't even find that.  I mean if it can't find the UUID, how the hell will it find the label?

Is there /any/ way at all to just change Grub2 to boot from /dev/sdaX?  Or do I just say screw it and stick with Windows only on this netbook?

--------
I posted an issue I was having booting a new install of F19 on my Samsung netbook.  It seems that my system cannot find the disks by UUID for some reason.  The way I fixed this before was to edit grub to use the device name /dev/sda5 (which is /boot) instead of UUID.  Some people replied that I needed to make sure that my system UUID matched what grub was trying to use.  I've attached a copy of the UUIDs (from blkid) and from /boot/grub2/grub.cfg.  I did another fresh install of F19, reformatted the partitions again and still had the same problem.  So I booted back into my LiveUSB image and pulled the data from blkid and and grub.cfg.   So, what do I do now?

I noticed in the boot params there's a '--fs-uuid' switch, can I remove that and specify /dev/sda5 instead?  I know so little about the newest boot process that I'm flailing here.  Help!

Thanks.

Mark