More UUID madness

Mark Haney MHaney at practichem.com
Fri Sep 20 12:28:48 UTC 2013

I didn't actually edit the log.  I had to enter it manually. I only get emergency mode on that netbook which doesn’t let me copy over the sosreport.txt file to any device.

As far as the drive goes, I know it's fine.  The problem isn't the drive, it's got to be the drivers or something stupid with grub.  It will NOT mount by UUID.  Period.  I get this:

Warning: /dev/disk/by-uuid/34307864-a1db-46e5-9815-d4c7c0698de35 does not exist

I get this with EACH of the linux partitions it's trying to mount.  Let me make this clear. I had this issue back with F16/17 and could boot by specifying the device the old way, /dev/sda5 etc.  I can mount the drive partitions from a LIVECD of any linux distro.  What I want to know is what do I need to do to make GRUB2 work?  So far, I'm not at all impressed with GRUB2.  It's beyond ridiculous to have to edit a half-dozen files to change how a system boots.  I am considering trying to get it to boot by Label, but the directions to do so are just asinine.