External USB3.0 HDD not working on Intel H87 (C2)

ppq ppq at posteo.org
Fri Sep 20 15:53:04 UTC 2013

Am 20.09.2013 16:44, schrieb Tom Horsley:
> On Fri, 20 Sep 2013 10:35:46 -0400
> Tom Horsley wrote:
>
>> B. Boot off a live CD some utterly different linux version
>>     (knoppix is always good) and see if it can see it. If it
>>     can, there whatever is going on is strictly a software
> I was gonna say "software issue" but must have accidentally
> hit some key that meant "send" :-).
>
> Anyway, "C" may be more important:
>
> C. Check the manufacturers web site for your USB drive
> to see if they have a firmware update for the drive itself.
>
> I had two different USB drives and one worked and one
> didn't on my new motherboard till I found someone mentioning
> a drive firmware update and found it fixed my problem.

Knoppix behaves the same way as Fedora Live: It sort of works, but is
really slow and throws errors.
http://paste.fedoraproject.org/41050/
I also updated the firmware of my hard drive. Didn't change anything.
I tried different USB ports on any of the tested computers.
I don't think the cable is the problem since it works well on my
Thinkpad and all the other computers.
I also don't think it is a hardware problem because the hard drive works
on USB2.0 ports, just not on USB3.0.