hidden GRUB menu -> Re: Suspension problem last 2 days

Reindl Harald h.reindl at thelounge.net
Sun Sep 22 16:24:45 UTC 2013

Am 22.09.2013 18:13, schrieb Jan Kratochvil:
> On Sun, 22 Sep 2013 03:21:32 +0200, Reindl Harald wrote:
>> now we have exactly what i said will happen: users in trouble does not know how to
>> boot the still installed older kernel because they never learned that there are
>> more than one because they never faced it as all the years before
>
> My grandfather still believes those are multiple _different_ Fedora
> installations, each having different games/files.  As he has also CentOS menu
> item there having multiple Fedora items is just too much for him.

explain it to him

> A proper fix would need to be more thorough as in the case of multiple
> different OSes installed you should always get the menu choice:
>
>  * Always present only the latest kernel there,
>    hide all older kernels under the menu item "Advanced options for Fedora".
>
>  * Do not display the menu if there is only one option available.
>    (Sure not counting the "Advanced options for Fedora" menu item.)
>    Sure still the menu gets displayed on holding the SHIFT/ARROW key.
>
> Failed boot of a new kernel is a rare case needing assistance of someone more
> capable of admin work. Such person knows how to display the menu

says who?

* as i faced the first unbootable system after a kernel update it was Fedora Core 3
* i had no big Fedora expierience at this time
* i did not need assistance of someone more capable of admin work

why?

* because i saw the menu from the very first beginning
* because doing nothing the next boot-step after that menu failed
* so what did i: look waht happens if i chosse something other from the menu