configure yum to ignore kernel updates?

Powell, Michael Michael_Powell at mentor.com
Mon Sep 23 16:59:24 UTC 2013

Is there a way to configure yum to ignore kernel updates besides manually removing an update before the update? The problem is that there's a very strong chance a kernel update will break drivers (read: nvidia), and I don't want to have to swing to extremes, like not updating at all...

I updated a machine to kernel 3.11.1, and it just sits at the fedora logo. I couldn't even ctrl+alt-F2, but if I set grub to run level 3 and look at the logs, it seems the nvidia module won't load due to not being built for the 3.11.1 kernel. Apparently akmod can't rebuild because the nvidia drivers need num_physpages, which has been removed in 3.11. I tried to update the nvidia drivers, but I am on the latest version that rmpfusion allows for Fedora 19 (319.23)

So, I just decided to remove the update 3.11.1 kernel. I don't need it... yet.

I saw a thread a while ago on this list discussing the decision to update or just wait for a new Fedora release. If yum can't be told to ignore certain updates, I may switch camps. It's not worth my time and effort to keep a machine up-to-date if those updates are going to sporadically break the machine and require investigation.