configure yum to ignore kernel updates?

Bruno Wolff III bruno at wolff.to
Mon Sep 23 17:04:37 UTC 2013

On Mon, Sep 23, 2013 at 16:59:24 +0000,
   "Powell, Michael" <Michael_Powell at mentor.com> wrote:
>Is there a way to configure yum to ignore kernel updates besides manually removing an update before the update? The problem is that there's a very strong chance a kernel update will break drivers (read: nvidia), and I don't want to have to swing to extremes, like not updating at all...

yum will not remove the running kernel, so one option is to let the updates
happen, but don't use the newer updates until you have time to test them.

You can edit /etc/sysconfig/kernel so that the default is to keep using
the current kernel on reboots. When you want to move on, you'll need to
change your grub2 (or grub or whichever bootloader you use) to change
the default kernel.

There is also a way using yum's config to prevent particular packages from
being updated. But since you can have multiple kernels installed, that
doesn't seem to be the best solution in this case.