permissions -

Bob Goodwin ~ Zuni, Virginia, USA bobgoodwin at wildblue.net
Mon Sep 23 21:29:12 UTC 2013

On 23/09/13 15:13, Paul W. Frields wrote:
>> >[root at box10 bobg]# ll /dev/sdb*
>> >brw-rw----. 1 root disk 8, 16 Sep 23 14:36 /dev/sdb
>> >brw-rw----. 1 root disk 8, 17 Sep 23 14:36 /dev/sdb1
> It means the file is a block device node.  Typically control of that
> file/device is through a device driver.  In this case these are
> respectively your second SCSI (or emulated SCSI, such as sATA) disk
> device, and the first addressable partition on that device.
>
> -- Paul W. Frields http://paul.frields.org/

Yes it's an usb external hard drive I've been playing with, reformatted
it to vfat and then messed with gparted although I did not intentionally
change anything it no longer appears on my desktop. While doing this I
was curious about the brw-rw----. Thought it might contribute to my
problem, no sure if it wa there before ...

Bob

--

http://www.qrz.com/db/W2BOD

box10   Fedora-19 Linux/XFCE