10 key gone crazy

Mike Wright mike.wright at mailinator.com
Wed Sep 25 19:31:38 UTC 2013

Hi all,

I have a system with five virtual machines, all of which share the
keyboard and mouse with the host.  On one of them the 10-key portion of
the keyboard doesn't work right.  I know it is not hardware because it
works correctly on the host and the other four VMs.

Specifically, it acts as if numlock is half on and half off.

On an xterm single key presses on 8,6,4,2 cause A,B,C,D to display.
When auto-repeat begins they revert back to their respective digits.

On a GUI such as galculator the 8,6,4,2 act as the cursor keys for
up,right,left,down but the rest of the keys act as numeric but again,
once auto-repeat kicks in, it reverts back to correct behavior.

Rebooting that particular VM doesn't change/correct the behavior.

Anybody have any idea what is going on or where to start looking?

Thanks for any help,
Mike Wright