Keyboard locking up in FC17

Tod Thomas fr33zone at gmail.com
Thu Sep 26 11:45:38 UTC 2013

On 09/25/2013 11:45 PM, Geoffrey Leach wrote:
> On 09/25/2013 12:40:47 PM, Tod Thomas wrote:
>> this.  I'm
>> keyboard
>> ALL of my
>> everything works
>> I can
>> screen saver
>> makes it even

>> involved.
>> someone
>> eventually but

>> this
>> get
>>>>
>>> Also, may want to check you've not accidentally turned on some
>>> accessibility option like sticky keys. (This used to catch me out in
>>> KDE because a long shift keypress enabled it, until I got fed up
>>> enough to turn that off.)
>>>

>> Good idea, I have not tried the virtual console check, I will the next
>>
>> time it happens.  Any idea how to turn off sticky keys in XFCW?  I
>> found
>> a suggestion using xkbset.
> If that doesn't work, try holding down the shift key for 20 sec.

Thanks all.  The shift key thing worked, the question is how did sticky
keys get turned on in the first place?  Luckily when it happened this
morning I had been tailing my syslog.

I had left my machine on all night because I was working on something.
I turned on my monitor, Alt tabbed over to Firefox, logged onto a remote
site, then tabbed over to Thunderbird, tabbed back to FF, lock.  Moused
back to Thunderbird, read Joe's response, followed his instructions.
Sticky keys wasn't enabled so enabled it but also selected 'Disable
sticky keys if two keys are pressed' figuring that if the keyboard is
reset; sticky keys enabled with this option, at the very least I could
disable it with the two key approach.  Once I left the dialogue box I
tried the keyboard, didn't work.  Moused over to the syslog screen and
didn't see anything. Tried the two key operation and one of the letters
showed up in the syslog!  Now it didn't show up as an entry in the log,
but showed up on the screen nonetheless so at least the keyboard was
working in some fashion.  I then tried Geoffrey's suggestion and it worked.

So, judging from the fix, somehow sticky keys got turned on this morning
after very little, and no prolonged, keystroke use.  Going into the
accessibility dialogue showed  sticky keys wasn't turned on previously
either.  Turning it on there I don't think had any affect because I
think the dialogue box was reporting it was off erroneously.

Ultimately, holding down the shift key for 20 secs worked.  So I think
there is a solution but I'd be interested to know what avenue I could
take to actually see it happen and get to the bottom of it? I'm not
going to lose any sleep now that I have a work around but it has piqued
my curiosity.  Thanks for all of your help so far.

- Tod