Problems booting Fedora 19 with UEFI

T.C. Hollingsworth tchollingsworth at gmail.com
Sat Sep 28 08:40:29 UTC 2013

Hi!

Sorry for the lack of response; UEFI gives *all of us* nothing but grief.  ;-)

On Sun, Sep 22, 2013 at 2:11 AM, Edward Quick <edwardquick at hotmail.com> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I recently purchased a Dell Inspiron 5721 which came with Windows 8. I
> would like to dual boot this with Fedora but am having problems running
> the Fedora Install. I have Fedora-19-x86_64-DVD.iso on usb, and whenever
>  I boot with UEFI (secure on or off), the
> boot process hangs at the line, Reached target Basic System:
<snip output>

> [  197.574126] localhost dracut-initqueue[395]: Warning: /dev/root does not exist

Hmm, so the boot process can't find the root image on the USB drive.
This could be because whatever made the USB drive didn't set the
kernel command line arguments properly.

How did you make the USB drive?  With liveusb-creator, unetbootin, dd,
or something else?

If it was anything but liveusb-creator, it might not have done the
necessary magic to make UEFI boot work properly.  Grab it from
https://fedorahosted.org/liveusb-creator/ and try remaking the USB
drive with it, and see if it works.

> Please note that if I install in basic graphics mode, I still get the
> same result. The only way I can get the install to work, is if I boot in
>  legacy mode. Unfortunately after doing this, I can no longer boot up
> Windows.
>
> If anyone knows how to fix this, I'd be really grateful for some help :-)

-T.C.