Updated to F20, now perl can't find installed modules

Garry T. Williams gtwilliams at gmail.com
Wed Apr 2 00:26:48 UTC 2014

On 4-1-14 14:34:22 Sean Darcy wrote:
> $ ls -l /usr/share/perl5/strict.pm
> -rwxr-xr-x. 1 root root 3933 Jan  7 09:48 /usr/share/perl5/strict.pm

I was thinking about this anomaly some more...

The only thing that touches /usr normally is rpm(8)[*].  (yum, dnf,
and GUI friends all call rpm(8) to change files in /usr.)  And rpm(8)
doesn't get this stuff wrong.  Well, at least not if the rpm file is
correct and I think after decades of correct rpms for Perl, it's
probably correct today in F20.  At least it is on my updated to F20
system.

Have you done other things to /usr as the root user?

> As root:
>
> # perl -V

This is a bad sign.  Why would you use the root user to run perl -V?

But maybe the mystery is solved by finding out which perl binary file
is actually being executed both as root and as a normal user.

[*] Except /usr/local, that is.  That directory is properly the
property of the system administrator.  The other stuff in /usr is the
property of the system.  And the rpm(8) program maintains files there;
never sysadmins.

--
Garry T. Williams