Five Things in Fedora This Week (2014-04-01)

Patrick O'Callaghan pocallaghan at gmail.com
Wed Apr 2 19:19:12 UTC 2014

On Wed, 2014-04-02 at 12:54 +0100, Liam Proven wrote:
> On 2 April 2014 10:37, Patrick O'Callaghan <pocallaghan at gmail.com> wrote:
> > but a
> > redesign of the X protocol, i.e. it's not ABI compatible.
>

> No, it's not a redesign of anything. It is an entirely new GUI layer
> which entirely replaces X.11 - as has been done in both Android and
> Mac OS X and which Canonical are attempting to do with Mir.

Terminological inexactitude on my part. From the Wayland site:

"Wayland is intended as a simpler replacement for X, easier to develop
and maintain. GNOME and KDE are expected to be ported to it."

> AIUI the plan is to implement some form of X.11 compatibility on top
> of it, but few modern *nix apps write direct to X.11 any more - they
> talk to a toolkit, such as Gtk or Qt or one of the more obscure ones
> like FLTK. Once those toolkits are ported to Wayland, the apps should,
> in theory, run just as before, with no need for X.11 or an
> X-compatible layer.

Kind of what I was trying to say. Those apps that do talk to X directly,
such as window managers, need to be rewritten or use a compatibility
layer in the meantime.

poc