in regard to my system fans picking up speed

Tim ignored_mailbox at yahoo.com.au
Fri Apr 4 11:43:58 UTC 2014

On Thu, 2014-04-03 at 15:32 -0500, g wrote:
> on a couple of boxes, i leave side cover off for max air flow.

In some cases, pun intended, that's actually not a good idea.

With an enclosed space, it's supposedly designed to force airflow across
the whole board (yeah, we know the cards get in the way).  But with the
side panel off, air goes the easiest route that it can, and some parts
of the board can roast because air isn't forced over them.

I rather like the newer cases that have a big, slow, quiet, fan, mounted
on the side panel, that blows over the whole board.

--
[tim at localhost ~]$ uname -r
2.6.27.25-78.2.56.fc9.i686

read messages from the public lists.