Unable to get projector to work

Dale Dellutri daledellutri at gmail.com
Fri Apr 4 14:26:53 UTC 2014

On Thu, Apr 3, 2014 at 2:31 AM, Henrik Frisk <frisk.h at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I reaqlize that the info I'm giving here might be to little to give any good
> suggestions, but I'm giving it a try nevertheless. I have a MBP with the
> following graphics card:
>
> VGA compatible controller: NVIDIA Corporation GK107M [GeForce GT 650M Mac
> Edition] (rev a1)
>
> I have no problem connecting to a second screen (VGA, Nouveau), but when I
> connect to a projector (VGA) it doesn't show up at all. No, I don't have the
> models of the two projectors I've tried with, but I did have the same
> problem with my other computer and Fedora 15 (that time I was running NVIDIA
> drivers).

Since you can connect to a second screen, but not a projector, I assume
the fault is with the projector.  On some projectors, you need to tell the
projector which of its inputs is plugged in (some can have VGA, HDMI,
Display Port, USB, and so on).  There's probably a button that will search
all the inputs once you plug it in.

However, more info would be helpful.

1. What Desktop Manager (GNOME, KDE, XFCE, ...) are you using?
2. What does the command
    $ xrandr
  say before and after you plug in the projector (and made sure that
  the projector knows which of its inputs is being used)?
3. Are you using the same cable that you used to successfully
  connect to a second screen? If not, is the cable bad?

> Am I missing something obvious here? I wasn't clever enough to look at
> Xorg.0.log yesterday when I tried the projector (I've been looking through
> it now but I can't seem to find the right place), but I will next time and
> perhaps I can provide better information.
>
> Best,
> /Henrik
>
> --

Dale Dellutri