CPU / GPU fan control

Tim ignored_mailbox at yahoo.com.au
Sat Apr 5 10:22:48 UTC 2014

On Sat, 2014-04-05 at 07:16 +0200, Raf Roger wrote:
> i didn't get any answer regarding the FAN control of my CPU/GPU to
> avoid it to run at 100% all the time, when i'm just watching a movie
> or reading on internet.

Some of those things may be causing your CPU to run hot, in themselves.
If the fans don't spin down when the computer is very idle, then you may
have fans without speed control, or your computer is overheating.

Fans can only cool things down, so much.  If the computer is in a hot
environment, it's going to overheat.

If the airflow is blocked, then it can't cool down very much.  Air vents
in the computer need to be cleaned.  The dust and fluff in heatsinks
needs to be removed.

If the heatsinks are not in good contact with the CPU, or other hot
devices, then they don't do their job.  They have to be flush against
the surface of the device.  And they work a lot better when there's
heatsink compound between the device and the heatsink.  It's often a
kind of paste, though sometimes it's a squishy solid (thin) object.

--
[tim at localhost ~]$ uname -r
2.6.27.25-78.2.56.fc9.i686

read messages from the public lists.