Gnome-shell weather extension hung

Matthew Saltzman mjs at clemson.edu
Tue Apr 8 14:16:08 UTC 2014

On Mon, 2014-04-07 at 15:04 -0400, Matthew Miller wrote:
> yOn Mon, Apr 07, 2014 at 06:54:15PM +0000, Matthew Saltzman wrote:
> > I have one machine that has
> > gnome-shell-extension-weather-0-0.13.git7587e23.fc20.noarch from
> > RPMFusion installed.  When gnome-shell starts, the icon in the task bar
> > displays a circular arrow with a caution sign.  That eventually decays
> > to just the arrow.  The weather conditions never appear.  The pop-down
> > menu reports "Loading Weather", but nothing ever loads.  Clicking
> > "Reload Weather" has no effect.  This behavior occurs no matter what
> > city I select.
>
> I think it has something to do with the weather service used. Some number of
> requests can be made without having an individual API key, but after that,
> you need one. A key is free for personal use... There's a link in the
> extention's UI and a place to put it in the config interface.

I'm not seeing that link or the place for a key.  The Settings option
opens "GNOME Shell Extension Preferences" and the Weather extension
offers options for selecting units and for what is displayed in the
panel, a place to add locations, plus an option to "debug the
extension" (which doesn't seem to indicate any errors in the logs in
~/.cache/weather-extension*.log).  I don't see a place for the URL.  The
gnome-weather application shows that it's getting its information from
the Norwegian Meteorological Institute at yr.no.  (And the gnome-weather
application has no problem updating.)

--
Matthew Saltzman