F20 Where's my system mail?

Arthur Dent misc.lists at blueyonder.co.uk
Sun Apr 13 09:54:18 UTC 2014

On Thu, 2014-04-10 at 17:42 +0100, Steve Searle wrote:
> Around 04:47pm on Thursday, April 10, 2014 (UK time), Arthur Dent wrote:
>
> > OK - So if just do "yum install sendmail" will everything work as
> > before? Or will I have to spend a fortune on coffee and pizzas as I sit
> > up night after night trying to configure it?
>
> Not a fortune, but you need to tinker a little. I have my own CentOS
> server on my network which is my actual mail server, and my instructions
> for each time I install Fedora are as follows:

Apologies for the slow response, but I had to attend a funeral out of
town and have been away from my computer for the last few days.

To recap:
I use fetchmail->procmail->dovecot to process incoming mails. I use the
smtp client built into Evolution to send mails (with one exception - I
use squirrelmail to access my dovecot server remotely and, in installing
squirrelmail via yum I noticed it pulled in exim too - so I now have
exim on my computer it seems).

All I really want is for internal system mails from logwatch and cron
jobs to be poked into procmail INTERNALLY. I see no need for them to go
outside into the big wide world. I am very nervous of attempting to
configure sendmail / postfix / exim because I am not really well versed
in MTA configuration, and when I tried to install postfix I think it
sent bounce messages to every incoming mail. I am terrified of becoming
listed as a spam source (I think my reputation may already be damaged
from an earlier misconfiguration).

Seeing that I had exim installed I looked into some setup guides. I
found this:
http://newbiedoc.sourceforge.net/networking/exim.html
which seems to be exactly what I want - internal only mail.
The problem is that it relies on a too called eximconfig which does not
appear to be available with the Fedora package.

Can anybody help me achieve what I want - either avoid the need for an
MTA altogether, or configure a simple MTA to process internal mail
internally?

Thanks

Mark