Serious OpenSSL vulnerability

Jerry Feldman gaf at blu.org
Mon Apr 14 18:50:00 UTC 2014

On 04/13/2014 06:23 AM, Timothy Murphy wrote:
> Roger wrote:
>
>> It happened. It was known for years.
> Everything I have seen says it has been known for about 1 week.
>
> Incidentally, I am no programmer but I would have thought
> it would be relatively simple to set up a test
> to see if a "malloc"-ed space could be transgressed.

There have been tools for this for many years. Rational Purify is one
tool that used to test for that. The problem here is that the tools that
test for buffer overflow also are time consuming. A "Purified" program
was several times larger and slower than the bare code. You use tools
like Purify to test your code, but not for production code.

--
Jerry Feldman <gaf at blu.org>
Boston Linux and Unix