F20 Where's my system mail?

Arthur Dent misc.lists at blueyonder.co.uk
Mon Apr 14 19:03:55 UTC 2014

On Mon, 2014-04-14 at 20:25 +0200, Suvayu Ali wrote:

> > [mark at Zaphod]$ send-mail: account default not found: no configuration file available
>
> It looks like this is the crux of your problem.  I presume you checked
> mary gets mails for her cron jobs?

Well I think we're narrowing down the problem here. The answer to that
question is NO!
And interestingly NEITHER DOES ROOT!

It seems that fixing /etc/aliases now allows me to get SYSTEM messages
(e.g. logwatch, fail2ban stops/starts etc.) but NOT cron output.

So the problem seems to be that cron is somehow not configured to send
mail. Could that be right? If so, where do I start in trying to fix
it?

> That said, I do not know enough about system mail to point you to
> possible sources of your problem, however I would start by running mail
> with the verbose flag.

How do I do that?

> > Is this significant?
>
> I would say, definitely so.
>
> Hope this helps,

Every little bit of knowledge helps. Thanks!

Mark