Notification area audio widget suddenly invisible on Fedora LXDE spin

Someone someone249 at openmailbox.org
Wed Apr 16 08:04:12 UTC 2014

My sound abruptly stopped working, and the notification area widget
stopped appearing. It hasn't been working for a couple of weeks, at this
point, though it had been working fine before that. (Before it stopped
working, the notification area widget had been displaying, as well.

I can run pavucontrol manually, and the only output device that is shown
in the relevant tab is "Dummy Output".

I really wish I could listen to music, but neither my laptop's built in
speakers, nor the stereo system plugged into the side audio jack work at
all.

As per the wiki sound troubleshooting page, I removed the
alsa-plugins-pulseaudio package, but that, alas, that didn't help, either.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks.