Need advice

Roger arelem at bigpond.com
Wed Apr 16 12:05:49 UTC 2014

> On Wed, Apr 16, 2014 at 2:43 AM, Rachmayanto Surjadi
> <rachmayantos at sanatel.com> wrote:
>> The question is how do we know that this hardware (motherboard, CPU) really support Fedora version 18 or 19? We are looking at mobo from Asus or Intel or Gigabyte, but did not find firm answer. We did not find the info from mobo websites either.
> Fedora 18 is EOLed so don't even think about starting there. If you
> really want to use Fedora you need to be comfortable with upgrading at
> least once a year. Note that F19 will be EOLed when F21 comes out in a
> few months. Centos might be a better option.
>
> A good way to test hardware compatibility is to try one of the Live
> versions booted from CD. They are very much desktop-oriented though.
>
> poc
I agree with poc.
I never upgrade Fedora without reading the problems on the forums for at
least 6 months.
Most servers across the world use CentOS and I can truly recommend
CentOS 6.5 it is very much like Fedora but does not suffer problems
inherrent with an upgrade.
My home Fedora 19 has died a couple of times after routine yum updates,
my ubuntu has never glitched and Centos keeps on keeping on.

If you use Intel or Gigabyte motherboards you probably won't have
problems provided you purchase from someone who knows the technology and
is not a windows aficionado. Most resellers are windowscentric and have
no knowledge of nix type server OS or desktop systems (my 0.2c worth, no
flame wars please) I've had Gigabyte mobos for years and never had issue
with installing Fedora, Ubuntu or CentOS.
You have been warned about Fedora 18 for good reason. Public facing
servers must be stable, consistent and totally reliable.
Roger