Need advice

Ian Malone ibmalone at gmail.com
Wed Apr 16 21:12:27 UTC 2014

On 16 April 2014 05:45, Ralf Corsepius <rc040203 at freenet.de> wrote:
> On 04/16/2014 05:40 AM, Digimer wrote:
>>
>> On 15/04/14 09:43 PM, Rachmayanto Surjadi wrote:
>>>
>>> Hi all:
>>>
>>> We are developing internal software using MySql dB and are planning to
>>> use Fedora for the server.
>>

>> Please don't do that. Fedora is awesome, but it's a desktop OS, not a
>> server OS.
>
> I do not agree with this statement. Fedora is a good choice for development
> purposes, both on servers and on clients.
>

>> The life cycle is way to short and it's not hardened like a
>>
>> server-focused distro.
>
> Well, Fedora's short life cycle and update rate imposes more admin work on
> both clients and servers, but this doesn't mean the situation is not
> manageable.
>
> I would not choose Fedora on install-and-forget client nor server
> installations - But if staff can manage the updates/upgrades, I do not see
> much reasons for not using Fedora.

For development, fine. For hosting some application? Probably not.
With Fedora you are looking at updating at least once a year, which
means planning around doing that as well as potentially dealing with
porting your setup to a newer infrastructure every time you do. It can
be done. There are even some advantages, but it requires you to know
what you're signing up for.

--
imalone
http://ibmalone.blogspot.co.uk