Dual Boot System

Javier Perez pepebuho at gmail.com
Thu Apr 17 05:46:57 UTC 2014

It is not a bad idea per se.
The thing is that the reason I installed Ubuntu is because at some time (I
think it was Fedora 16 or 17, don't remember now) Fedora could not set the
right resolution for my display, 1920x1080, but Ubuntu indeed could do it
without problem.
Virtualizing it would defeat the purpose of having it work as an alternate
OS in case of problems with Fedora.

JP

On Thu, Apr 17, 2014 at 12:42 AM, Edward M <edwardunix at live.com> wrote:

> On 4/16/2014 8:49 PM, Javier Perez wrote:
>
>> Hi
>> I need some advice here regarding partitioning my home system.
>>
>> My home system is a triple boot system: Windows 2K, Fedora 20 and Ubuntu
>> 12.04 LTS
>> I have three disks, one devoted to each operating system.
>> The first disk has two partitions, one for the OS (win2k), the rest for
>> data to be shared while on the other OSs including my personal directory
>> The second disk has like 4 partitions (Fedora /, /boot, /home, /swap)
>> The third disk has only three partitions (Ubuntu /, /boot, /swap)
>>
>> My plan is to get one SSD to keep the OS (both Fedora and Ubuntu).
>> Instead of keeping Win2k on a drive that I rarely use (just for some
>> games), I plan to virtualize the disk under VirtualBox.
>>
>> Given that both Fedora 20 and Ubuntu 12.04 LTS use grub2, my idea for
>> partitioning is
>> 1. One largish /boot partition, about 1 GB, to hold both the Fedora and
>> Ubuntu boot images.
>> 2. Separate / partitions, one for Fedora, the other for Ubuntu, about 25
>> to 30G each
>> 3. Keep a /home subdirectory on each of the partitions on (2), but link a
>> "My Data" subdirectory to the filesystem under /home/myusername/ through
>> fstab. "My Data" would come from another HDD (like 1 TB aprox). The idea is
>> to keep the /home/myusername subdirectories apart and not let them mix
>> because Fedora and Ubuntu save diferent data on the home directories, then
>> have a subdirectory with my real data common to both systems.
>>
>> Is this setup workable? Is there a better solution? I'd rather not have
>> to buy two SSDs
>> because the OS take just about 50G and I still have a lot of free space
>> in that partition
>>

>        How about continue using your existing HDDs and install Fedora as
> the host OS and then install Ubuntu and windows
>        as guests in VirtualBox? mostly a thought...:-)
> --

 /\_/\
 |O O|  pepebuho at gmail.com
 ~~~~     Javier Perez