Need advice

Digimer lists at alteeve.ca
Thu Apr 17 06:04:16 UTC 2014

On 17/04/14 01:41 AM, Roger wrote:
> This conversation has piqued my curiosity.
> Fedora becomes end of life. I'm guessing that means the kernel and
> associated components go EOL.
> What would be the difference between an EOL well serviced and managed
> Fedora 19 and newly installed CentOS6.5 as far as internet safety and
> security goes?

As soon as Fedora goes EOL, no more updates are released (1 month after
the second version passed has been released, so F18 went EOL 1 month
after F20 was released).

CentOS gets it's updates from upstream (Red Hat), which is supported for
at least ten years after initial release. So CentOS 6 servers will get
updates until 2020, at least.

> I'm guessing that EAL Fedora apps like apache or nginx, php, perl,
> python, Ruby, c, mariadb, OpenSSL, firewall and the other security apps
> as well as Inkscape, Blender, LibreOffice Firefox, Thunderbird and
> others would keep on updating as they do in CentOS until the updates did
> not fit with installed kernel requirements which could conceivably be
> quite some time down the track. Pardon my terminology, I'm out of depth
> here.

Once EOL, nothing gets updated on the OS, period.

> I don't remember any conversations for years about attacks on Fedora
> system it'self, so what parts of Fedora are or could become dangerous
> after EOL down the track?
> What would one have to look out for if one does keep an EOL Fedora for a
> number of years?
> Roger

Once a system stops being updated, it's only a matter of time before it
becomes exploitable. An EOL OS should never be used on a system you care
about.

--
Digimer
access to education?