How to put boot into interactive mode

Matthew Miller mattdm at fedoraproject.org
Thu Apr 17 15:12:15 UTC 2014

On Wed, Apr 16, 2014 at 10:24:36PM -0400, Robert Moskowitz wrote:
> Long ago I knew a way to get the boot process to require a keystroke
> at each step.  This was important when you were trying to read the
> screen to figure out what is happening, typically wrong.
> But long ago I lost my notes on this, and I believe i need before my
> next reboot.
> Can someone point me to howto do this?   My search foo is weak....

Unfortunately, you can't do this anymore. The old boot process was
sequential, so it was possible to step through each item. With systemd, boot
happens in parallel, and there's no way to make it interactive and approve
each item.

I've always thought it'd be nice if systemd had a mode where it would
flatten all dependencies and step through sequentially, but this is easier
said than done because the dependencies can be fairly complex.

                                  "Tepid change for the somewhat better!"