systemctl versus service

Matthew Miller mattdm at fedoraproject.org
Thu Apr 17 18:28:21 UTC 2014

On Thu, Apr 17, 2014 at 02:07:33PM -0400, Robert Moskowitz wrote:
> So for a number of versions, 'service' has been a front end to
> 'systemctl'. I have a service I am testing the Host Identity
> Protocol, and the HIPL implementation: http://infrahip.hiit.fi/ that
> is still built around 'service'. And they maintain binaries for a
> number of distros, including Centos that do not yet (if ever?) use
> 'systemctl'.

CentOS 7 will be based on RHEL 7, which includes systemd and therefore
systemctl.

> Well the HIPL developers are looking into supporting systemctl
> method, but for the present, I need the start not to take so long
> (and I am talking minutes here, not a few extra seconds until the
> failed message).
>
> So is there some option I could use in 'systemctl start
> hipfw.service' that will cut down the start time, even if there are
> some warnings?

I don't think so. 'system' isn't doing anything special -- it is just
calling systemctl. It looks like the service itself is having some problem
starting up, and that's where the problem needs to be fixed...

                                  "Tepid change for the somewhat better!"